Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cleaning.....yuck!

If there's one thing I dislike it's cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I like a clean house and can't stand it when things are out of place and messy, but I sure as heck don't want to be the one to clean it up. Or maybe I should rephrase that and say I don't want to be THE ONLY ONE to clean it up. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get into my children's thick heads that mommy would be a whole lot happier if they would just pick up after themselves. It's almost like a broken record around here, there's a mess, I ask them to clean it up, they get about a third to half way done and get sidetracked, I spend numerous hours riding them to finish it up, they don't so I explode and clean it up myself. Most of the time there is tears when I explode and after I start to get rid of some of the toys that have been left in a big heap, they start to help clean up. I hate that it takes me exploding to get them to clean up and I hate that I don't have enough time and memory to get them pick up every night before bed. Most nights I'm in a rush to get them fed, bathed and then read to before tossing them into bed so I can relax. The last thing I need is to prolong the bed time to get them to clean up.
This morning I sighed heavily when I saw the heaping mess that is supposed to be our loft. My dear sweet hubby saw me do this and said "Well maybe if you got them to pick it up daily and not monthly it wouldn't be such a problem!" Oh so easy to say for the man who hasn't been around at night since Thanksgiving! Plus it's a bit odd for him to be giving me advice on this subject since he's as bad as his offspring in this area!!! I can't tell you how often I have to actually put his dishes in the dishwasher after he's left them sitting on the kitchen counter. He claims he didn't know if the dishwasher is clean or dirty. This is the point where I remind why humans have eyes and how they work in helping us determine if the dishwasher is clean or not. I rinse my dishes before I put them in there but not enough to remove any and all traces of food, so it should be pretty easy to tell if the dishes are clean or not! Then there is his clothing that he tosses IN FRONT of the laundry room door. He can quite seem to make it into the laundry room and the few times he has made it into the laundry room, he seems to think the floor is closer so he tosses the clothing there instead of on or in the washing machine!!! Ugh!
And Heaven forbid if I decided to take a day or two off from cleaning!!! This decision always ends up being one I regret, as I have an even bigger mess waiting for me when I finally decide to get my butt in gear again. With 5 people the laundry really adds up, the dog seems to shed half his coat on a daily basis and the 4 children in this house (dear sweet hubby is included in this number) can't seem to figure out how to throw things away, put dirty dishes in the dishwasher or clean up their own spills. Someone once said that trying to keep your house clean with children at home is a lot like trying to bail out the Titanic and boy do I believe that!!!!!!!

No comments: