Thursday, October 16, 2008

Can I scream now???

First, a little history before I tell you why I want to scream....

When we moved to Colorado 5 years ago my dear sweet hubby was working the 'pre-load' shift at his job, where he had to work Tuesday through Saturday from midnight to until about 10 in the morning. At first he tried to go to bed as soon as he got home and then he'd wake for dinner with the family and then he'd go back to bed again. But we soon realized that while it was nice to have him there for dinner it made it so he didn't get any good sleep. So since the girls were both young ( 7 months and 2 1/2 at that point) and not in school we just made our family time in the middle of the day.

Then a year and a half later when Little Man entered the picture he was finally able to stop working that shift and work a normal one. It was so lovely, until the day he came home with not only roses but chocolate as well. I knew something was up and yep it was. The guy they hired to replace dear sweet hubby in that nasty 'pre-load' shift had up and quit. So he went back to working that shift for about 9 months again. Ugh, was that hard, as now there were 3 kids to deal with. Well finally the day came that he got to work a normal shift again and it was so lovely again. That all happened about a year and a half ago.

Now on occasion he's had to work that 'pre-load' shift again to cover for the replacement they finally found, but usually it's only for a week at a time and spaced out. Well about a month ago the part time manager who also works the 'pre-load' shift had elective back surgery so now dear sweet hubby and one other manager have to take turns doing this guy's job until he is cleared for doing the heavy lifting. At first dear sweet hubby's boss wanted him and the other manager to switch off each week, but come on, a body can't switch from sleeping during the day to sleeping during the night on a weekly basis. So they decided to do it every two weeks.

So now here comes the reason I want to scream.......

We are at the tail end of dear sweet hubby's second week, which would mean he'd be working normal next week. Well it would if the other manager didn't have to train some new drivers, a task dear sweet hubby hasn't been taught yet so he can't do it. So this morning dear sweet hubby tells me he has to work the next two weeks in 'pre-load'. WHAT??? I have to do this whole single parent thing for another blasted two weeks??? Great I guess that means I get to take them trick-or-treating by myself again this year........no he says, he'll nap as soon as he gets home and wake up to do the trick-or-treating. You'll be tired, I say. So? he replies, I want to be there.

And then if that wasn't enough.....

THEN dear sweet hubby tells me that the manager who replaced him wants to transfer to the Denver facility which would mean that his job as 'pre-load' manager would be open again!!! You know it probably wasn't a very good idea of dear sweet hubby's to tell me this while I'm driving as I immediately turned to him and said "H*** NO!!!" (good thing there weren't any other cars around us) But dear sweet hubby reassured me he will absolutely not allow them to move him back into that shift. We both agreed it was fine when the kids were younger but now that they are all in school there's school functions and parent-teacher conferences to attend that I can't go to all by myself. Speaking of parent-teacher conferences, I have to go to two of them here in an hour by myself, well okay, not exactly by myself as I have to take all three kids with me, because dear sweet hubby is currently sleeping.

But I guess things could be worse, I mean he could find out that he HAS to move back into that shift and my nightmare of becoming pregnant with triplets could come true...............

1 comment:

dede said...

yes - please scream!!! Hope the craziness ends soon - my husband works at home (which makes me want to scream sometimes too) but, I am smart enough to know, I have it good!