Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My house has a bad case of C.H.A.O.S!!!

Now you're probably wondering what C.H.A.O.S. is, well I'll tell ya: It stands for
C an't
H ave
A nyone
O ver
S yndrome
Pretty cool acronym, huh? I found it on a cleaning website that I didn't have time to really check out. Of course you'd think since I didn't have time to check it out I would have been cleaning, but if I was it sure doesn't look like it.

It's hard being the sole person out of a family of 5 who cleans up. Granted the other adult in the family works two jobs so he has like no free time to help clean up, but the kids are 3, 5, & 7 so they should be able to help pick up after themselves. Notice I said "should"???? So I've come up with a plan, if it isn't cleaned up before bedtime it goes in the trash, if it's left out in the backyard and doesn't belong there it goes in the trash and since I've moved Little Man back into his own bedroom again, what toys don't fit into their room gets donated! I'm so tired of having toys all over the floor, so I'm gonna have to institute some strict rules about those lovely things.

Now I know some of you are probably shaking your heads and thinking "Is this woman for real? She's got three kids under the age of 8 and she can't stand toys all over?" Well yes, and with our kids getting older, which in reality means bigger and no chance of us moving into a bigger house anytime soon, I have to nip this in the bud while I can. 99% of the time the kids don't even play with most of their toys, they're too busy making games up with their imagination. So why do we need all these toys all over the place if they aren't getting played with? Shouldn't they go to a child who would actually love and use them? I think so.

Plus it's so dang embarrassing to say you can't have people over because your house is a disaster area. I hate opening my door as the house is such a disaster, even looking in from the front door. I feel like the world's worst housekeeper. I could understand the state of our house if I worked full time but since I don't I would think I'd have a chance to keep it cleaner, but apparently not.

Of course the cold I've had for the past week and a half hasn't helped matters. It's hard to get a good cleaning done when you start hacking up a lung or two 5 minutes after you get going! Earlier I was cleaning up the loft by putting the toys that were in here into the kids' rooms, but starting hacking so thought I'd sit down at the computer for a bit. (All the kids are in school this morning, so I have the ability to do this now)

It probably doesn't help that my dear sweet hubby and I are pack rats that are trying to reform themselves by purging. I mean the kids just learned their hoarding tendencies from us, but recently my DSH and I have decided we can't and don't need to save ALL the crap we have. I've been trying real hard to go through stuff, but it isn't easy when dear sweet hubby isn't home to help me determine if something needs to be saved. But hopefully in the near future he will stop working this blasted night shift and get back to his normal work hours so we can try to go through boxes at night after the kids are in bed. Again, notice I said "try" and not "will", as after three kids I've learned to never commit myself to anything but taking life one day at a time.....

1 comment:

carin davis said...

aaaahhh...the trash and I are friends!!! i LOVE getting rid of things! i need to stop buying things in the first place!