Friday, October 24, 2008

Now Showing: Return to the Land of the Living

Yes folks, I feel that today I have finally returned to the land of the living. Geesh it has only taken me 10 days to get here, but I'm here. Granted I still hack like I've been smoking for the past 30 years, at least two packs a day, and my voice is not back to normal, but I no longer feel like I'm in some energy sucking fog. You know this has been the strangest cold (if that's what it is) I've ever had. I'll explain.......

It all started on Tuesday the 14th. I was child free and went to a baby shower for a dear friend of mine who is brave enough to have her 4th child on purpose (love ya Toni). Well during the course of the shower I felt my throat get soar and my voice started to go all wonky on me. These are always the first signs of a cold, so I knew what was coming. By that evening I had no voice to speak of, literally, and I had to whisper everything to the kiddos. The voice continued to elude me for the next few days and the congestion got a little worse. But then on Saturday I felt good enough to paint the room we had been using as a guest room in order to move Little Man back in there. You see three kids in a small bedroom is not a good idea. Now if the room was much bigger it would be do-able, but not in the size room we have. Anyway, I painted on Saturday and then moved his furniture in there on Sunday. So I must have felt somewhat normal, even if I was popping Dayquil like it was candy.

Then came Monday....

Monday everything got worse again. It was almost as if my body was saying to me "Yo, woman, SLOW DOWN!!!" Everything started going into the toilet again, but it wasn't as bad as it got on Tuesday....

Tuesday afternoon I started to feel like I had that achy flu (not the toss your cookies kind) and I could barely move at all. I absolutely dreaded going to pick Peaches from school, as that meant I had to actually move! Wednesday morning I was a little bit better but not much, but OH! then came Wednesday afternoon....

Wednesday afternoon I no longer felt like I had the flu but dang it felt like someone had put 1 ton bricks on my cheek bones. I knew this meant I was having sinus pressure and wondered if I had a sinus infection. That whole night I was just hoping that someone would just knock me out as then I wouldn't feel the pressure anymore. Thank Heavens for Nyquil!!!

Thursday morning I no longer had that sinus pressure, thank goodness, but I still felt like something you find on the bottom of your shoe. Shortly before dinner I did begin to feel somewhat normal and actually did the dishes!!! First time in oh about 4 days, it was bad!

Then this morning, besides hacking up a million loogeys in the shower, I'm feeling somewhat normal!!! I no longer resemble a cast member of one of those "Night of the Living Dead" movies. I'm still congested and I still hack, which by the way is really starting to hurt, and my throat is still sore, but like I said earlier I no longer feel like I'm in that energy sucking fog.

Now while I was lying on the couch trying to conserve enough energy to pick up one kid or another, I came up with an acronym. Bare with me, it's a bit of a stretch but it what I think the word MOTHER should stand for:
M ade
O f
T he
H ardiest
E -mmune system
'R ound
Now I realize that the word immune doesn't start with an E but that's what I had to work with people. I truly think that once you've either given birth or adopted a baby you should automatically get an immune system that can fight off any and all germs and virus'. I mean it's not easy and it really stinks to be a mother when you are sick yourself and have no one to take over for you. Thankfully the kiddos are all old enough that they can do most things for themselves, but then again there's Little Man who thinks he's old enough to do lots of things and Heaven knows he isn't, which is oh so scary......even scarier than one of those "Night of the Living Dead" movies!!!

3 comments:

Bee said...

Methinks, honey pie, that you did indeed have the flu. Wit some bronchitis throw in for extra fun. Being a fellow asthmatic, I know how those "colds" can get ys. Mind almost always turn into bronchitis.

Ok. Enough nursey talk. I'm really glad you're better.

Toni said...

Geez! So, so, so glad we got you over to the shower BEFORE this huge episode! Nooooooot fun! I've been sick since Monday and I want to feel normal again... now! Well as normal as a very pregnant woman can feel!

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

I love reading your blog...thanks for the smiles :)