Thursday, October 9, 2008

Well worth the wait....

I used to hate the first song on my playlist, "You Can't Hurry Love", because it was the theme song for the first 20 years of my life! You see I went without a boyfriend up until I turned 20, then one day something changed...

But up until that day I couldn't wait to know what it was like to have a boyfriend and be in love. I remember watching the "Anne of Green Gables" miniseries on PBS with my mom and wondering when I was going to meet my Gilbert (For those who don't know, Gilbert is the friend that Anne realizes she loves at the end of the series). And my sweet sweet mother, who had cried with me practically every time I had my heart broken, told me that it would come in time. I didn't believe her, as I was just sure I was going to be an old maid before I found the right guy.

However I did find the right guy and he was well worth the wait. He not only makes me weak in the knees, he makes me laugh until my sides hurt and tears are streaming down my face. We are bizarrely compatible in more ways than one, with the exception of singing in the car (I love to and he doesn't) and dancing (I REALLY LOVE to and he REALLY DOESN'T). He also helped me have three of the most beautiful and entertaining children alive. He works two jobs so we can make ends meet and never once makes me feel guilty for staying home with the kids, I do plenty of that to myself for him. I still find him as attractive as I did 15 years ago in the beginning of our relationship, even if he doesn't believe that I do.

So now that I'm older and hopefully a little bit wiser, I realize that the song is right, you can't hurry love and if you do it's doomed to begin with. You have to let it develop on it's own time and mature in it's own way. If you rush it or try to change it, it won't last. Which is one of the reasons I think dear sweet hubby and I have made it this far, we've never rushed anything in our life together and have always let things happen as they may. And so far everything has happened perfectly!!!

1 comment:

dede said...

I am glad you found your Gilbert! You and your sis (and your families) need to meet here in Utah so we can all hang out!! It would be so fun!!