Friday, November 28, 2008

Grateful for Christmas lights

We are nearing the end of the month and I'm slowly running out of things to be thankful for. Sad but true, I mean I could be thankful for things like hair dryers and toothpaste, but that doesn't seem really worthy of an entire post, does it? I've already covered the most important, my family and my friends, so what's left????

Christmas lights!!!

HUH? Well I can't tell you how cheery Christmas lights make me. I don't know why they do really but every time I see some in front of a house it makes me smile. Maybe it's the memory of a family tradition we had when I was growing up of taking one night to ride around and look at the lights in my home town. We used to do it one night after my maternal grandmother had come over for dinner. And even though after a while we kept hitting the same houses which had the same decorations each year we each enjoyed it enough to keep going.

Then one year we decided we'd judge the houses that put up lights but you had to wonder why in the world they did so, as it looked like they covered their eyes and just threw the lights before turning them on. Seriously there were some houses out there that had lights that had no rhyme or reason to how they were positioned.

Then there were those houses that lovingly put up the lights and made a wonderful scene for others to enjoy, because when you think about it, how much do you really get to enjoy your own Christmas lights??? Putting up lights is a way to spread some Christmas cheer. So this year, if you don't already, maybe put up a few lights and help spread the Christmas spirit and cheer to your neighbors.....

3 comments:

dede said...

I LOVE Chritmas lights - Bill does not - I am still working on him (and I usually win), it isn't snowing yet, so I still have a chance!

Toni said...

I've been loving reading your posts- being positive is such a great way to lead your life. Well done!
PS- is the title of your post quite right?? Hehe

JulyG319 said...

Oops, just changed the title from Chistmas to Christmas.....:)