Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Grateful for my mommy

As I clean up the results of the stomach virus that is attacking more members of my family, I can't help but think of my mother. I know that may sound like an odd association, vomit with your mother, but as I clean up after my family I can't help but think of all the times my mother had to clean up after me and my sister. I can't tell you how many times she would stand behind me as I made an offering to the porcelain gods holding my long hair back so it didn't get in the way. Or how many times I heard her say "It's okay" as she was cleaning up. It's that loving attention that, while all mothers should, the best mothers give their children in times like this. And I learned from the best!!! I seriously think there isn't anything my mom can't do. Well okay I could think of a few, bench pressing 200 lbs or break dancing come to mind, but I digress.....She can cook anything from memory, she can wallpaper like a pro, faux paint better than any art major I've seen, sew custom drapes using just measurements and being no where near the actual window and she can manage to make almost 2,000 of miles between us seem like nothing with a simple "I love you".

So in case you haven't been able to guess already, today's grateful post is about my mother. Life hasn't always been the easiest for her and still she goes about her life with a positive attitude, learning from the troubles of the past and making sure she avoids them in the future. I can only hope that one day my children will feel the same admiration for me that I feel immensely for my mother....

2 comments:

CatieCupCake said...

Do you by any chance have a case of tissues?

Seriously, I miss you more than I can tell you, love you more than life itself. You and your sister are the BEST things I have EVER done! I am SOOOOOO proud of you!!!!

Bee said...

You know, I think that was a defining moment in my life - the moment I realized that now I was the one who would be doing the cleaning and getting a cold washcloth. My daughter and husband loved me, but that was a mommy job and they weren't mommies.

I need those tissues, too. The love between you and your mommy is mighty special.