Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Grateful for my stepfather

I decided this morning as I was drying my hair, an event that takes longer than I'd like now that it's getting longer, that today's grateful post would be about the man who has changed my mother's life for the better. A man we all lovingly call Papa John, or as dear sweet hubby calls him "The Pizza Guy".

He entered her life about 6 1/2 years ago, before Tink was even baking, and it's been a joy to have him in our lives ever since. However I do have to confess that I was skeptical at first. I mean just about a year earlier my mom and dad split up and it wasn't exactly a pleasant split, then she dated a man who turned out to be a real piece of work, so when John entered the picture, being the good daughter I am, I was hesitant to embrace him until I had observed him a little more. Thankfully he did nothing but pleasantly surprise me. He's a generous man, who never has a bad word to say about anyone, well at least that I've heard. He's easy going and an avid football fan who can amazingly watch a game and not pound the floor or yell at the television if things don't go his teams way (something that ALWAYS happened in my house growing up).

But I think my two most favorite things about him are this......

He allows my mom to have friends and doesn't bad mouth or ridicule the ones she has when they aren't around. Something that never happened in my house growing up. Oh sure, my dad would be nice when my mom's few friends were around but once they left he'd complain about them for ridiculous reasons.

And he treats my mom like the queen she is!!! He is so loving and generous with her that you can just feel the love between them. And for that and that alone I will always be grateful for him. Towards the end of my parents' marriage my mom became more and more withdrawn. I didn't see it at the time but looking back I really see a difference in her. But now she's happy, she's in love and she's free, free to be herself and not feel judged for being so.

So during this month of grateful posts I think one of the most important ones is this one, as this man has made one of THE MOST IMPORTANT people in my life the happiest I've seen her in a long, long time. So thank you, thank you, thank you Papa John!!!!! My family and I love you dearly and thank our lucky stars you came into our lives!!!

1 comment:

Bee said...

I just read your mom's blog post about this blog post. Y'all remind me so much of me and Anna. My experience with a step-father, while not bad, certainly hasn't been as good as yours. I'm happy for you. And him. And most of all, her.