Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Agony of Defeat

That's it!!! I give up!!! I can't do it anymore, nope, no way, no how!!! I surrender!!!

Why am I being so dramatic? Well other than it being my nature to do so, ;) , I've decided that no matter how hard I try I just can't keep this house clean. I mean I've tried to get rid of stuff and believe me there have been several boxes of toys that have been dropped off at the local Goodwill Store, but it just seems to keep coming back, like a fungus you try to get rid of but it grows again and again.

I grew up in a house that was no more than 900 sq. ft. and there were four of us in the family and we had at least one dog and one cat at all times, but yet that house NEVER felt small to me until we moved to a larger home after my grandmother died. Then all of a sudden it felt really small. Now I go back and forth as to whether the house never felt small because that was all I was used to or if it was because of the fact that my parents never let us accumulate too much junk. Every January we'd clean out our closets and get rid of all we didn't need or use. So the rooms (and closets) never felt crowded.

But that is so not the case with this house and it's twice as big as the house I grew up in. Now I realize we have one more family member, but still that shouldn't make that much of a difference right? I mean we have 1849 sq. ft. here and 5 people living in it and it feels like it's the size of a shoebox some days. Now dear sweet hubby knows we need to get rid of stuff but he has no down time really and what little he does he doesn't want to spend going through crap and I can't say that I blame him. But most of the stuff I can't get rid of without his approval or agreement, so I'm stuck. Now with the kids, I've gone through their stuff while they've been in school and gotten rid of quite a bit but yet it still seems like they have too many toys. And Christmas is just weeks away!!! Then when you add in the fact that Peaches' birthday is a mere 4 weeks after Christmas and then Tink has her birthday 3 1/2 weeks after Peaches, the flow of incoming stuff doesn't end for a whopping 8 weeks!!! Oy vey, I'm tired just thinking of all that.

So what's a girl to do? Do I continue to purge the kids' toys when they are at school and accidentally get rid of something they truly treasure that I had no clue about? I mean I've already tried having them go through the stuff but I barely got a Wal-Mart sized bag of stuff from them. And Little Man is just too young to really decide what to keep and what to give away, he wants it all.

So until dear sweet hubby gets transferred and we have to move or we magically win loads of money and can buy a bigger house, I guess I will just continue trying to bail out the Titanic, so to speak. It's a fruitless effort but one I'm gonna have to make in order to keep some semblance of order in the house........

2 comments:

Bee said...

I know there's a need to purge your children's things. Really I do. But I gave away a little bag of toys that my baby girl had and I wish now I had them back. She carried around a Crown Royal bag and filled it with all kinds of things: Happy Meal toys, Kooshlings, gum ball toys. She called it her Conscience Bag gor some reason. So, you're right. You need to be careful about what you throw away.

Isn't it amazing how much stuff they can accumulate, though?

dede said...

we are doing are yearly "give to the DI" toy drive this week - I make them fill one large black garbage bag, as it is the only way to make room for the new stuff - I am hoping as they get older their toys will get smaller - all Cameron has asked for for Christmas is a DS, nice and small!!