Thursday, December 18, 2008

Teacher gifts....oh the agony

I don't mean that I don't like giving them, as I am so grateful for each of my children's teachers. Instead the agony I have is over what to give them for Christmas. I mean I already struggle with the end of year gifts, as I know all too well from my mother-in-law, who is a retired teacher, about how teachers can accumulate a ton of stuff that they don't have the space to store. So I try to pick things that they can use once and be done with or don't have to store, like flowers.
But for a Christmas gift, what do you give??? Do you give as much of a gift as you give for the end of year present? And how much do you spend??? I have three kids so whatever I spend on one teacher I'm gonna have to spend on all three teachers, so that can add up!

You see I wasn't really planning on doing anything for any teacher other than my favorite teacher, Miss Elaine (aka the world's best pre-school teacher EVER), but then my girls noticed I was making cookies to give to Miss Elaine and they wanted to give their teachers cookies too. And then my friend Ingrid called me to get my opinion on a teacher gift and that got me to thinking about it all. I mean how much do you mothers reading this spend??? Do you go all out on the gifts or do you just skip the Christmas gift and do just an end of the year gift???

I mean I don't want to go in the poor house just trying to give my children's teachers gifts but I don't want to seem like a cheapskate either. I know most teachers would probably just prefer a nice thank you, but what are you to do when your kid wants to give their teacher a gift???

I dunno, it all seems like one more thing to fret and worry about. Like I really need another thing to fret and worry about!!!

3 comments:

carin davis said...

i'm giving homemade marshmallows and hot chocolate. my girls are so excited to take it tomorrow. they are really easy...and consumable!

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

I usually get the teachers 15.00 gift cards and homemade cookies.

dede said...

This year the kids teacher got Bath and Body Works Soap with some chocolate tied to it - last year it was a $10 gift card to Barnes and Noble!