Friday, March 13, 2009

Girl Scouts beware!!! HERE WE COME!!!

Last night I took the girls to an open house for our local Girl Scout office. I was hoping to finally get Peaches (and now Tink) signed up as we have been trying for the past two years. The first year a troop was never started, since at that time Kindergartners were only in the Daisy troop for one year, so those troops were hard to get started. Then last year the lady from the Girl Scout office never called me back when I called asking about info on a Brownie troop for Peaches. Geesh who knew it was going to be so hard to get signed up???

Anyway, I read in the paper yesterday about the open house, so I went online to get more info. It was there that I realized you could sign up to become a "Juliette", which is a Girl Scout who has no troop and works on her own to earn her badges. This is our big chance to finally get signed up!!!

Then I figure after getting signed up as Juliettes we can look into getting a troop set up at the girls' school in the fall, as that is when they do their big recruitment push. Plus waiting until the fall to start a troop will give me more time to figure out what I'm doing, as something tells me I'll be VERY involved in the troops that get started.

Another bonus is the fact that they've restructured the Girl Scout levels. It used to be that the Daisy level was just for Kindergartners but now they have included 1st graders. So now the Brownie level is for just 2nd and 3rd graders. And it will be much easier to get troops started with more than one grade per level.

So it looks like even though we had a rough start, we are finally on our way to becoming Girl Scouts. Then the next challenge will be getting Little Man into Boy Scouts when he's old enough and I know Dear Sweet Hubby is really looking forward to that one since he was a Boy Scout himself many years ago!

1 comment:

dede said...

yea - one more thing on your to do list! (the cookies will make it worth it!)