Saturday, June 20, 2009

Laundry, the necessary evil

Oh how I dislike doing laundry, the dragging it downstairs, the shoving it into the washer, then moving it to the dryer, then taking it out of the dryer in a timely fashion after the beeper goes off letting me know the load is dry, then folding it and putting into a basket to lug it back up the stairs and then putting it away!!!

But for as much as I dislike doing laundry, I guess it could be worse if I didn't own a washer and dryer, I mean think of what those poor mothers in the early 20th century had to do with like 10 kids and just a wash bucket?!?!?!?! Holy cow, could my life be worse if I lived a hundred years ago!

And for as unexciting of a task as laundry is, I guess it has to be done, or we'd all be wearing clothes so darn stinky they'd probably be able to walk on their own. And oh how I love to crawl into a bed with fresh clean sheets! I have one set of sheets that I'd have on the bed all the time as they are so soft when you first put them on but the longer they are on the bed the softer they become. But again, if I kept them on all the time they'd probably be extremely soft, but dang would they be stinky and dirty, so off they must come and downstairs they must go.

As you probably can tell....I'm doing laundry today. I really should try and do it like every other day, but I don't.....actually come to think of it I probably do do laundry every other day, as it seems like I'm always doing laundry. Last time I bought laundry detergent I decided to try and keep track of how long it lasted. So when I opened it up to use it the first time I wrote on the top "started using 04-15-09". 96 loads later on 06-16-09 I finished up the detergent. After doing some math, which took a couple of tries to get it right, it's been a while since I've had to do this kind of math people, I figured out that the 96 loads in 61 days works out to like 1.57 loads of laundry a day!!! So really I could do at least 2 loads a day and still do the same amount as I do now, which is more like 6 loads a day every so often. Now I don't know what's worse, to always do two loads of laundry a day or do the 6 loads in one and have an occasional day off from it? But I guess when I consider how great my dislike for laundry is, I'd rather have an occasional day off from it than to do two loads a day.

1 comment:

Bee said...

I hate doing laundry, too!
And I only have to walk about 12 feet (at the most) in any direction to gather it and then put it away.

I'm thinking I've really lost my mind, because I want a clothesline soooo bad. Could've used it today, too. My dryer died!
New one coming Monday.