Friday, July 10, 2009

Hindsight's worth it's weight in gold

You know back in the fourth grade I decided I was going to be a teacher. Then in the sixth grade I had the coolest teacher, Ms Jusaitis. I SO wanted to be her that I knew for sure that one day I'd become a teacher myself.

What happened?

To be honest I'm not sure. I think it was my natural curiosity that made me veer from my original plan of becoming a teacher. I took a psychology class and was so fascinated by how the human mind works that I decided to major it in it. But as I soon learned you can't do much of anything with just a bachelors degree in psychology.

Ah dang.

I had plans of going back to school to get a master's degree but I got married instead and then didn't have the money to go back. Then I had three kids in 4 years, so that really put going back very low on the totem pole of priorities.

Then last year I started volunteering in the girls' classrooms on a weekly basis and I suddenly remembered my original ambition of becoming a teacher. We still don't have the money for me to go back and get my teaching credential, but I think I have a way of earning money working at a school but not be an actual teacher, for now at least.

I'm so desperately hoping to become a para-professional at the girls' school once Little Man is in kindergarten. Of course I'm hoping to get him enrolled in all-day kindergarten so that I can work all day at the school. But I would need to get the job in order to enroll him in all day class, as they charge a whopping $210 a month for all day. Now that may not seem like much to some, but remember money is tight for us and we've never had to pay for daycare before, so that is a considerable amount of money for us. But if I was working it wouldn't be a problem.

What is a para-professional you ask? Well I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's just a fancy way of saying teacher's aide. You know like how they now say administrative assistant instead of secretary?

So once the school year has started in August I am hoping to volunteer as much as I can in hopes of getting my name known and then I'm going to try to feel out the prospect of getting hired on next year. Don't know if that will work or not, but it's worth a try right?

1 comment:

dede said...

best of luck! They ususally hire parents at our school. I like to volunteer because I feel like it helps my kids - if the teachers like me and know I work with my kids they usually like them as well - it has worked so far!