Sunday, January 10, 2010

New adventures

Well it looks like 2010 is starting out with a bang!

A little background first....

The last week of school before the winter break I applied for a position as a special education para-professional with my daughters school. I was told they would be interviewing the 4th or 5th of January, so naturally when New Year's Day arrived and I hadn't received a phone call I assumed that I was not even in the running.

THEN Sunday the 3rd in the afternoon as my family and I (which included my visiting in-laws) were watching the beautiful snow fall, the phone rang. Neither dear sweet hubby or I recognized the number but it was a local one so DSH answered.

And I'm so glad he did!!!

It was a nice gentleman from the school district that was calling to see if I would like to interview for the position that I had applied for. Of course I agreed! So on Tuesday the 5th I went in to interview. I was so nervous not because I was scared but because I wanted to do well and was afraid I would blow it. Well I left the interview having no clue how I did as the people (4 of them) who interviewed me were so hard to read.

The next day we ended up running some errands after the girls got home from school and DSH was home from work and went out to dinner (Love that 99cent kids meals at Applebees). When we got home there was a message on the answering machine from our beloved pre-school teacher, who I used as a reference. She said she didn't want to get my hopes up but that she had been called about me by the same nice gentleman. I was so excited, even though I tried very hard to not get my hopes up.

The next day I was a wreck. I had decided to use the day to take down Christmas decorations and do some laundry to avoid looking at the clock and staring at the phone hoping it would ring. Well after what felt like an eternity I looked at the clock and it had only been an hour and 20 minutes!!! WHAT???? Oh it was going to be a long day.

But then it rang!

My heart stopped and my stomach rose to my throat. It was the same nice gentleman calling to offer me the job if I was still interested......if I was still interested HA! I had to mentally tell myself to not scream in the man's ear...LOL!

Yesterday I got the necessary paperwork, had my fingerprints taken, got my photo id picture taken and met the adorable little boy that I will be working with from 9-12 Monday through Friday. He's a sweet boy who is in kindergarten and has ADHD and needs someone to be there with him to remind him to do his work and to even remember to eat at lunch time.

Thankfully this schedule is perfect for life right now. As Little Man will be in pre-school Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a good friend who has agreed to watch him for me.

I'm not sure if this will continue into the next school year, but I sure hope so, as then Little Man would be in all day kindergarten and I would be able to work all day.

Tomorrow is my first day at work after 8 1/2 years of being a stay-at-home mom and I can't tell if I'm really excited or nervous.....maybe it's a combo of both and I'm more anxious than anything. The best part about all of this is the teacher whose classroom I will be working in was Peaches' first grade teacher. After that year she switched to all day kindergarten, much to my dismay as I wanted Tink to have her for first grade as well. So thankfully she is a lady I know and like, plus if she and I get our way Little Man will get her for a teacher next year when he goes in for all day kindergarten.

So to sum it all up on the 1st I was celebrating the new year but thinking I wasn't going to be interviewed for the job I had applied for, then on the 3rd I got a call about an interview, then on the 5th I interviewed and on 7th I GOT THE JOB!!!! I have to wonder if the lottery ticket DSH said he bought yesterday on the 9th was a winner with the way my luck has been this year so far........ ;)


Allie and Pattie said...

Well, if you win that lottery, we expe t a huge HTE "homecoming" where we all get to meet and hug you in person! Congratulations, Jules-they are VERY lucky to have you!

dede said...

yea!!! I hope you love it! Have fun!