Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two for the price of one!

Okay I have two things I want to post about today so I'll do them both here.....

It stinks being an adult sometimes...

Okay, so the wind here today is horrid. I mean when you can hear the window squeal under the pressure of the wind, then you know it's bad! But of course wind like this is not unusual for this area, just stinks when it wakes up early on a Sunday morning. So DSH had to be at work this morning at 8, so his alarm went off around 6. He got up but I tried to sneak in some more time in bed, but the wind was so loud I eventually got up. Headed downstairs at 7-ish. But while I was up early (well early for a Sunday) I proceeded to waste the next two hours on the couch. I drank some coffee, read the paper, and watched a program on the Loch Ness Monster. Noticing the time I got up to eat, but then checked Facebook before finally heading to the shower at 10. Of course when I noticed it was 10 and I hadn't showered a huge sense of guilt came over me. How could I have wasted so much time on a day where I should be getting stuff done around here, as I am a working mother now. I can't just ignore the duties at home as no one else around here is going to do it for me, that's for sure. So now here I am at 11:15 am and I'm still wasting time, oh well, guess some days you just aren't meant to get anything done, but does it have to come with a side guilt????

When all else fails, use bribery!

So last weekend the kids and I cleaned up the loft and their bedrooms in record time. It was really nice to have clean floors up here to be able to actually vacuum. HOWEVER.....now it's messy up here again and apparently the yelling and belly-aching that their father and I do isn't enough to get the kids to clean up their messes. So I've decided to try and bribe them. I am going to start a chart where if they have the loft clean and have left no toys downstairs at the end of the day they will get a sticker and if they get a whole month worth of stickers they will get something special, whether it be a dinner out or a new game for the PS2. But if they miss a night then they have to wait till the next month to start all over again. I'm not sure if it will work and the worst part is that I will have to remember to do the chart, but if I try really hard to remember and they do do it, then I'll be so happy to have less cleaning and yelling to do on the weekends!!!

2 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Positive reinforcement is always a good thing. Word of warning though-your guys are still little and a month is a VERY long time. You might want to make the reward a bit smaller, but go for a week at a time so that they earn something good without waiting TOO long. Don't want them bored and giving up on you. And making them wait to start the whole month over means that if they screw up the first week, YOU'LL be doing the cleanup for the next 3-they'll have no incentive to start back up. Ask me how I know all this :)

JulyG319 said...

Thanks Pattie, I hadn't thought about a month being so long for them! I'll have to revise it to a week at a time and see how that goes. Oh how I hope this works!!!