Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An attitude of gratitude

I mean, honestly, how hard can it be to have an attitude of gratitude?

Well kind of hard sometimes.

With my sister's and my father-in-law's recent cancer diagnosis' and the unexpected death of an old friend, I'm trying so very hard to be grateful for all that I have. But some days I fail miserably.

But isn't it human to be like that? Kind of? (note: my head is tilted to the side with a puzzled look on my face with that last question)

So let's see, what am I grateful for.....

Well my family I grew up with for one, especially my mom and sister and even more especially (is that correct grammar?)that my mom is right there for my sister during her time of need.

Then there is my family that my DSH and I made, they may frustrate the snot out of me most days (DSH included) but dang I couldn't love them more if I tried.

And I can't forget my extended family that my DSH gave me when we married. I honestly got lucky with that one. From the horror stories I've heard of in-laws, I'm so very very very lucky for these sweet people!!!

My house, it's not perfect but keeps us nice and dry and when it's clean it doesn't look too too bad. ;)

My job, even if I make stupid mistakes that I beat myself up over and spend all night trying to figure out how to make it right the next day. I love it and the people I work with. Honestly it is the perfect job for me!

My car. My beloved BB, aka Beautiful Behemoth. She's big but she makes it so driving places doesn't result in WWIII between my kiddos. And she's not a minivan!!!

Now for what I'm not so grateful for:

My bad habits, like being too lazy to keep up on the housework. I'd say that it was a side effect of having a job, but I was kind of like that before hand, so it wouldn't be a valid excuse. *blushing*

People who are rude and/or mean. I mean I cannot stand it when people hang up on you without saying goodbye! Since when did saying "goodbye" become a passe thing to do??? Do we need to revisit manners class people????

Smokers who throw their cigarette butts out the window. The world's not your ashtray people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, okay enough of what I'm not grateful for. But I guess the point I'm trying to make is no matter how hard you try to find things to be grateful for it's so easy to find things to not be grateful for. I keep trying to look at the positive side of things, but what positive side is there to someone throwing their cigarette butt out their car window as they are driving??? I can't find one, can you?

Alright, I know, I get snarky, so I'll stop. *sigh* So with that I'll insert my one of my favorite Monty Python scenes which happens to go so nicely with this post.....Take it away boys.......www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

1 comment:

Toni said...

You are grateful you don't possess that awful smoking habit and neither does anyone in your family! Super grateful that even if a family member did, they would never ever throw their cigarette butts out the window! I think that's the way you view that one! And I LOVE, love, luv that your new job is the perfect fit for you! Just super fantastic!!!!